David 's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2011, read count: 2

Amazing, simply amazing.

I first read this book probably about 6-7 years ago. I mostly had heard about "The Grand Inquisitor" and wanted to read it for that. The first time I read it I liked it, the second time I was completely wrapped up in the story of the Karamazov family. This is simply one of the greatest novels ever.

It is not a fast-paced action-packed novel like Harry Potter or the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Instead it is a psychologically driven story that takes us deep into the characters and forces us to examine the human condition. There is Ivan, whose view of the world is that since there is no God then all things are permissible. When other characters act on Ivan's philosophy in ways that repulse Ivan, he is driven to madness. Then there is Aloysha, the hero of the novel, and disciple of Father Zossima. Rather than philosophizing on the horrors of suffering we see Aloysha going into the world to work to bring healing to suffering. The reader must ask, what type of person are you?

Finally there is Dmitri, accused of killing his father. As I read I realized that if this story took place today Dmitri would quite easily be acquitted due to DNA and other more modern forms of evidence.

Overall, fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.