Elizabeth's Reviews > BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery

BabyCakes by Erin  McKenna

Aug 27, 11

Read in August, 2011

As a new gluten/dairy/peanut-free eater, I sadly laid my rolling pin to rest a few months ago. Baking didn't seem to have much appeal for me if I couldn't sample my creations! Gluten-free baking is expensive, time-consuming, and finicky. (And even if I was lucky to come across a GF recipe, it would most likely contain a dairy or a recipe for buttercream frosting.) Vegan to the core, this book solves the problem.

**About half of the recipes DID contain spelt flour, which DOES contain gluten. McKenna makes the case that spelt is digestible to many people with gluten intolerances, but I'm not apt to take the risk.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read BabyCakes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel you may also like to try Susan O'Brien's book The Gluten Free Vegan. I've made 10 recipes from it so far, and most were good. I'm looking forward to trying the items in her dessert section. The recipes have sort of a non-gourmet Midwest American type of feel ... I like it, as I'm just into healthy, simple meals right now.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Also ... it's a very basic non-sexy type of cookbook ... it doesn't even have pictures. But I am liking it so far.