Jouraine's Reviews > Skipping a Beat

Skipping a Beat by Sarah Pekkanen

Sep 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, own
Read from August 27 to September 02, 2011

Even though I bought this book I wasn't expecting to love it the way that I did; and then when I started it, the chick-litty feel kinda convinced me that I wouldn't. That all changed quickly though, the premise and the writing style did grab me and wouldn't let go. I loved that the characters were not one-dimensional, all the different aspects of their personalities were expertly laid out and helped to get me invested in what would happen next.

The main problem I saw for this couple was their utter lack of any type of communication, and the way they slowly stopped caring for each other. And what really is love? I hated they way they tossed that word around when everything each of them did said quite clearly that they really didn't love each other anymore. They were both very damaged kids who didn't have any kind of familial support, and the other partner, because not overtly abusive, was the family they couldn't give up. They chose to call that love, but that was the saddest part for me. If only they would make time for each other... and I wished that Julia wasn't so soft but then again that also is a symptom of the betrayal that she experienced early on, so I get it.

As for Michael, even after he "saw the light" his patterns were exactly the same, which made me wonder. I expected him to sit with Julia and discuss what his plans were, because as his wife the decisions he made would also affect her. But no, he doesn't do that -- so of course, she is pissed. Not because she would be losing the money but because of his utter disregard for her as a partner. They treated each other like room mates and that was very significant, it left the impression that they were just two single people who felt comfortable thinking they were married.

The only part of the book that I didn't enjoy was the Isabelle distraction. Not because it wasn't interesting (in fact, I would read a book about her and Beth, their story is compelling enough) but because it kept me away from Julia and Michael's story.

Good work! I dissect because I love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping a Beat.