AJ's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Aug 27, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-uf, young-adult, romantic, series
Read from May 14 to 17, 2012

Our shadowhunters are back!! Cassandra Clare's long-awaited 5th installment of the Mortal Instruments series is one helluva ride. So much happens in this book! There is action, drama, romance and the always expected comedy, all tied in to multiple storylines running all over the place - in a good way :)

Everybody seems a little bit more grown up in this book. Not only are they all climbing in and out of bed (and showers) with each other (PG of course), but they seem more mature, and we got to see some different sides to our beloved characters than we had seen in previous books.

Jace - still sarcastically brilliant, but my heart still broke for you
Clary - kickass as usual, and now she can REALLY fight (go girl power!)
Sebastian - an absolute psycho, what more can I say??
Izzy - I'm liking you more and more!
Simon - I think I fell in love with you a little bit
Magnus - brilliant as always!
Alec - you're an idiot!

This was a great read, I can only hope that Clare doesn't keep us waiting the anticipated two years for the conclusion to this amazing story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

Quotes AJ Liked

Cassandra Clare
“He is a Shadowhunter,” said Jocelyn. “His loyalty will be to Clave and Covenant.”
“He’s my friend,” said Magnus coldly. “His loyalty is to me.”

Cassandra Clare
“I never cared,” he said. “I wanted you anyway. I always wanted you.”

Cassandra Clare
“Don’t take this the wrong way, but you smell like Magnus.”

Cassandra Clare
“She turned and looked at him. "Ducks?" she said again.
A smile tugged the edge of his mouth. "I hate ducks. Don't know why. I just always have.”

Cassandra Clare
“He grinned. It was a wicked grin, the kind that made the blood in Clary's veins run a little faster. "You want to go on a date?"
Caught off guard, she stammered. "A wh-what?"
"A date," Jace repeated. "Often 'a boring thing you have to memorize in history class,' but in this case, 'an offering of an evening of blisteringly white-hot romance with yours truly."
"Really?" Clary was not sure what to make of this. "Blisteringly white-hot?"
"It's me," said Jace. "Watching me play Scrabble is enough to make most women swoon. Imagine if I actually put in some effort.”

Cassandra Clare
“Does she still love you?"
"I don't think so," Magnus said dryly. "She wasn't very pleasant the last time I saw her. Of course, that could be because I've got an eighteen year-old boyfriend with a stamina rune and she doesn't."
Alec sputtered. "As the person being objectified, I ... object to that description of me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Simon rolled his eyes. “It’s a good thing we know the person who’s dating Magnus Bane,” he said. “Otherwise, I get the feeling we’d all just lie around all the time wondering what the hell to do next. Or trying to raise the money to hire him by selling lemonade or something.”
Alec looked merely irritated by this comment. “The only way you could raise enough money to hire Magnus by selling lemonade is if you put meth in it.”

Cassandra Clare
“How was the Seelie Queen?"
"Same as usual."
"Raging bitch, then?"
"Pretty much.”

Cassandra Clare
“Basia coquum," Simon said. "Or whatever their motto is."
"It's 'Descensus Averno facilis est.' 'The descent into hell is easy," said Alec. "You just said "Kiss the cook."
"Dammit," said Simon. "I knew Jace was screwing with me.”

Cassandra Clare
“I will have you know I practiced that speech. In front of a mirror before you got here."
"So what do you think it meant?"
"I'm not sure," Jace admitted, "but I know I look damn good delivering it.”

Cassandra Clare
“I don't know who Azazel is," he said. "Isn't he the cat from The Smurfs?" He cast about , but Isabelle just looked up and rolled her eyes at him.
"Clary?" he thought
Her voice came through, tinged with alarm. "What is it? What happened? Did my mom find out I'm gone?"
"Not yet," he thought back. "Is Azazel the cat from The Smurfs?" There was a long pause. "That's Azrael, Simon. And no more using the magic rings for Smurf questions.”

Cassandra Clare
“I really wish you hadn't worn that sweater,'he muttered into her ear.
'It's good practice for you,' she replied,her lips moving against his skin.
'Tomorrow,fishnets.'
Against her side,warm and familiar,she felt him laugh.”

Cassandra Clare
“Ah,” said Magnus. “Nerd love. It is a beautiful thing, while also being an object of mockery and hilarity for those of us who are more sophisticated.”

Cassandra Clare
“I think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual," added Magnus.
"Please never say those words in front of my parents," said Alec.”

Cassandra Clare
“I fell in love with you," he said, "because you were one of the bravest people I've ever known. So how could I ask you to stop being brave just because I loved you?”

05/14/2012 page 111
05/14/2012 page 111
21.0% ""Does she still love you?"
"I don't think so," Magnus said dryly. "She wasn't very pleasant the last time I saw her. Of course that could be because I've got an eighteen-year-old boyfriend with a stamina rune and she doesn't."
LOL - oh Magnus I've missed you!" 2 comments
05/15/2012 page 205
38.0% "Ooohhh, so much is happening!!!"
05/16/2012 page 269
50.0% "It appears that everybody has grown up a lot since the last book - there's bed-hopping (and even a bit of shower-hopping) going on everywhere!"
05/17/2012 page 454
84.0% "Oh God no. NO NO NO, WRONG WRONG WRONG! I was warned it was coming, but still - Sebastian you are a sicko!"
06/20/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Maria Woot Woot!!!

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ I know!! FINALLY found a copy, and have been transported immediately back into Shadowhunter world (I love Magnus!!!). Would love to keep reading, but soooo tired. Back into it tomorrow though.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Yes i too fell in love with both Izzy and Simon too! I felt bad for Alec his youth and inexperience had alot to do with his choices. And Clary, omg she is sooo badass i love it! The scene with her and Jace at the end. Wow! Nice real nice:)

Maria Alec was a Total Idiot, but hopefully he'll be able to make it right between the two of them!! I loved Izzy too I think her and Simon will be good for each other!!

message 6: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Izzy and Simon blew me away a bit actually, especially (view spoiler). I like her when she's with him.

And I do feel sorry for Alec, despite his idiocy. I'm sure Magnus will forgive him though :)

Maria Magnus is in Love with him, I think they will get there HEA in the end!!
I agree that scene was Hott with the the two of them!!

Alexis *Reality Bites* AJ wrote: "Izzy and Simon blew me away a bit actually, especially [spoilers removed]. I like her when she's with him.

Maybe maybe not i'm sure in Magnus life span he has had to walk away from love. Altho that would NOT be cool if Clare does not put these two back together. imo.

message 9: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ They are fan favourites, they have to end up together. Although Clare has said that she will be killing off one of the main characters in the last book. Is it too obvious to think that it's going to be Sebastian?

Maria Alexis wrote: "AJ wrote: "Izzy and Simon blew me away a bit actually, especially [spoilers removed]. I like her when she's with him.

And I do feel sorry for Alec, despite his idiocy. I'm sure Magnus will forg..."

True That, that could definitely happen too:( that would be sad though.

message 11: by Maria (last edited May 17, 2012 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria AJ wrote: "They are fan favourites, they have to end up together. Although Clare has said that she will be killing off one of the main characters in the last book. Is it too obvious to think that it's going..."

Ohhhh Nooooo it better be that Doucher Sebastian and not any of our favorite core characters. But I could sooooo see her killing off one of our Faves;(

message 12: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Of course Sebastian is going to die, but I wonder if she'll kill off any of the others. I think Amatis will die, but she's not really a main character.

Maria I can't wait for someone to Shove a Sword right thru Sebastian!!

message 14: by AJ (last edited May 17, 2012 10:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ LOL! Pick me, pick me, I'll do it! It will end up being Clary or Jace that actually does it though.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Well we know she will Sabastian but i think someone else may go too... Not sure who. You know Clare may take a risk like how Andrea Cremer did with Bloodrose and kill off a fan fave. I don't mean to be a debbie downer i just think its possible.

message 16: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Yeah I think she will too. Any predictions?

Alexis *Reality Bites* It could be anyone except Jace and Clary of course. Maybe a parent i could live with that. Maybe Simon. But damn i was just starting to love him:)

message 18: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ NOOOOOOO, not Simon!! Although I'm not sure how the long term prospects are looking for Simon and Izzy, so maybe he will die. Is it wrong to wish that if she's going to kill somebody off, she has to kill off their love interest as well, it would just be too depressing otherwise.

Maria My guess would be.....I hate to say but I would go with Simon:(

Maria But I don't know it's to sad to think about;(

message 21: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ And we have to wait two years to find out!!! That's just cruel! She needs to stop writing her two new series', and just finish the two that she has outstanding!

Alexis *Reality Bites* I doubt she would kill anyone else from that family. Well mayb the mom or dad. But another kid that would be to much. She may not pair Simon an Izzy she may keep them as they are now close friends who want more but never take it there.

Alexis *Reality Bites* AJ wrote: "And we have to wait two years to find out!!! That's just cruel! She needs to stop writing her two new series', and just finish the two that she has outstanding!"

Hahahahahahahahahaha!! I agree but she is very good at what she does i prefer she takes her time and gives us her best!!:)

message 24: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Alexis wrote: "AJ wrote: "And we have to wait two years to find out!!! That's just cruel! She needs to stop writing her two new series', and just finish the two that she has outstanding!"

Hahahahahahahahahaha!..."

Yeah but what if she gets hit by a bus or something? While we will mourn her tragic loss of course, we'd all be left hanging!

Maria I was talking to my sister and she hasn't read 5 yet and she was like I'm just gonna go ahead and ask, she says did Jace and Clary get it on yet and I was like sorry no they didn't and she was like Well Damnnn and then I went on to remind her that all this has taken place in only a six month time span. She was like its just seemed like so much longer then that. So let's hope in the final book that these two finally get Jiggy With It!!

Alexis *Reality Bites* AJ wrote: "Alexis wrote: "AJ wrote: "And we have to wait two years to find out!!! That's just cruel! She needs to stop writing her two new series', and just finish the two that she has outstanding!"

Hahaha..."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! TOO MUCH:) But you have raised a good point

message 27: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Yeah - everybody else seems to be shagging, it seems wrong not to have our main two at it as well! Although now Jace has a 'proper physical reason' that he can't do it. Let's hope he gets over that right quick!

Alexis *Reality Bites* Maria wrote: "I was talking to my sister and she hasn't read 5 yet and she was like I'm just gonna go ahead and ask, she says did Jace and Clary get it on yet and I was like sorry no they didn't and she was like..."

OH MY GOODNESS... YES i know its YA and all but damn can we please get some lovin btwn the two. Sheesh i was hoping it would go down in this book but she failed to write it in. smh.

message 29: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ It's not all bad, I've got Conversion #2 to get back to and that's pretty steamy....

Maria You said it, Right Quick is Right!! Of course she writes some shit into the story were he can't be touched....Go Figure!!!!

Maria AJ wrote: "It's not all bad, I've got Conversion #2 to get back to and that's pretty steamy...."

Yayyyy!! Definitely Steamy!!

message 32: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ He's got fire on the inside - what kind of stupid shit is that???? She's just put it in there to draw out the drama I bet! Maybe 'deflowering Clary' is going to be a big climax (note the pun!) to the final book.

Alexis *Reality Bites* AJ wrote: "He's got fire on the inside - what kind of stupid shit is that???? She's just put it in there to draw out the drama I bet! Maybe 'deflowering Clary' is going to be a big climax (note the pun!) to..."

Hahahahahaha, true i feel like she is drawing it out as well. Not cool:|

Maria LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

message 35: by Alexis *Reality Bites* (last edited May 17, 2012 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexis *Reality Bites* I like the fire thing i think b/cuz she put the sword in Jace the fire will serve its intended purpose which is to kill Sabastian. Oppose to if she put it in Sabastian the fire would have killed him on the spot. But we need our villan for the final book. B/cuz Jace has a good soul and has angel blood he now holds the fire within. Sabastian is all evil so the fire would have obviously consumed and killed him.

Maria He needs to Put the Fire Inside Clary!!! Hahahahaha!!

Alexis *Reality Bites* Maria wrote: "He needs to Put the Fire Inside Clary!!! Hahahahaha!!"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! YES! EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

Maria Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! We are so Wrong!!!

message 39: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ LMAO

Come on baby light my fire......

Maria AJ wrote: "LMAO

Come on baby light my fire......"

That's what she'll be Sayin!!