Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Special Forces - Soldiers

Special Forces - Soldiers by Aleksandr Voinov

5++++ stars.

Dan. Always.

"All is fair in love and war."
- by Francis Edward Smedley

"Hatred ever kills, love never dies. Such is the vast difference between the two. What is obtained by love is retained for all time. What is obtained by hatred proves a burden in reality for it increases hatred."
- by Mohandas K. Gandhi

Fantastic! A-mazing with a capital A. Honestly, Soldiers just blew me away.

Special Forces is the story of a Scottish SAS soldier and a Soviet spetsnaz soldier. Two enemies who meet in the line of duty during the early days of the Soviet Union's last war in Afghanistan. SF is an epic because the story of Dan and Vadim spans twenty-five years of their lives.

Special Forces--Soldiers is the first cycle of the Special Forces epic. Dan and Vadim are "meeting" for the first time in August 1980, in Kabul. The second cycle is Mercs I and II (2 books) and the third one is Veterans. The whole epic comprises around one million words. Take your time and read it.

Enemies…from hatred to love.

One million words of:
Anger. Hatred. Torture. Violence. Cruelty. Pain. Swearing. Agony. Anguish. Crying. Despair. Stress. Franticness. Blood, sweat and tears. Death. Insanity. Awfulness. Doubts. Separation. Communication. Lack of communication. Miscommunication. Tension. Frustration. Satisfaction. Lust. Need. Passion. Sex. Tenderness. Vulnerability. Dedication. Heroism. Mercy. Hope. Darkness. Shadow. Light. Happiness. Gratitude. And above and beyond…despite all the misgivings a deep-rooted love.

Prayer beads. Vadim's gift to Dan.

Photobucket

So many books pale compared to SF—a mere dust in the wind, vanished into Nothing. SF is pure insanity in its intensity, gripping from the get-go, oh-so shocking, brutal and ugly at times but this story will consume you and swallow you whole. As a matter of fact, the words and characters will cut right through your heart. The authors did a superb job at portraying two multi-layered and battle-scarred characters. War is showing its ugly and gruesome face. And yet I loved to see that among all this insanity there is honor to be found. Dan said he is not a good man but at his core he is honorable because he spared Vadim's life when he called to him as a soldier or when he tried to shelter the young German soldier.

"You want to know why I didn't cut your balls off, stuffed them down your throat and watched you die? You want to know it? I don't give a shit about you, Russkie, family kids, wife, village, country, beliefs, sexuality or not. I don't give a flying fuck. I saw you take down the village, I watched you bring out the mothers by splattering their children's brains into the dirt. You call yourself a killer? I call that a murderer, and if you had died under my hands, cunt, I would have been one of you. And that's why you live--no more, no less, no other reason. I didn't continue because you asked for the mercy to die as a soldier, because you called to me as a soldier, and that's what I am."--Dan

I adored Dan's deep, deep love for the Afghan mountains. Further, I adored the interaction between Dan and the British ambassador, Baroness de Vilde (Maggie). What he did for her is invaluable but she knows it, and she gave back by being loyal, very supportive, understanding and caring. Always. A true lady made of steel, however, at her core she is utterly kind-hearted. Throughout this epic I came to really like Vadim but then again, there is no love lost between him and me. My emotions are all over the place when a man is raping men because he enjoys to do it and when he has no qualms whatsoever to kill innocent children and women. My friends know where I stand and I will admit it's a somewhat lonely place to be. Yes, he made mistakes, he is flawed. However, all the Dan bashing is kinda depressing and not really fair because there are reasons why he changed. And please "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Isn't it rather convenient to forget about that? With that said, I'd appreciate it if we could differentiate a bit more.

Enemy mine. An “enemy” in a wilderness of insanity
“It’s another first today.” He paused. “You seem to be the one for firsts,” his breath caught, “and lasts and always.” --Dan

Photobucket

“Tell me what do you remember?”
“I don’t want to talk.” Dan’s neck muscles tensed resisting Vadim’s hand. He didn’t know the words and he didn’t want to search for them. “I just want to feel. But no, that wasn’t it. “I want to feel human.”
--Dan

What follows suit is my favorite love scene. It was not about sex—it was so much more and went way deeper. It's love.

"You…" just you, always you. My Russian cunt, my enemy, my comrade, my prisoner, my gaoler and my life. Words, unthinking. "Love…you." --Dan

Couldn't hear his own groans echo in the cave, mind screaming for release, knew he'd do anything, absolutely everything for this man, suck him, kill, kill himself, run away, be something else, anything else, everything just blurred, darkness, a place inside that only held him and Dan. Nobody else, nothing else, no time, no place, no affiliations, no past, no future. --Vadim

First and foremost Dan and Vadim's "relationship" is about a profound lust and need. Their internal tensions are very palpable and engaging. But there's no going back--their relationship evolves slowly yet steadily and it's so incredibly rewarding to see them fall in love with each other. The sex is rough and edgy and that's why I treasured the rare moments of tenderness all the more. Death was always hovering over their heads and the reader has a hard time to really believe in their HEA. Well, you know the saying "Good things come to those who wait."

The ending of Soldiers is emotionally charged, frantic and full of despair and angst--I could feel the goose bumps on my skin. In fact, it will leave you absolutely breathless and wanting for more. While the war had kept them together, peace was tearing them apart.

Warning
Even though I can't recommend this epic enough, please be aware that Special Forces contains very graphic violence, language and sex. It's not for the faint of heart.

"Hold me," he murmured with a strained voice. "Just f***ing hold me."

This review can also be found here:

If you decide to give this epic a go then read the Special Forces: Soldiers Part I -Director's Cut.
67 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces - Soldiers.

Quotes Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“He’d do anything, absolutely everything for this man, suck him, kill, kill himself, run away, be something else, anything else, everything just blurred, darkness, a place inside that only held him and Dan. Nobody else, nothing else, no time, no place, no affiliations, no past, no future.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Blood, pain and an all-surpassing lust for one man settled so deeply into his bones, the need had become part of him. Bottomless, like the touch he craved. Vadim.”

Marquesate
“Dan didn't know how violently he was biting. Just the absolute closeness. Once upon a time he'd hated that body, smashed it, kicked it, beat it into a bleeding pulp, but now he wanted to crawl into it, or kill it, and maim it, to possess it, eat, tear, destroy it, to take it and never leave it again.
His. The body was his, the man was his. His, his, his alone!”
Marquesate, Special Forces - Soldiers

Marquesate
“You conquered me, got to this Special Forces bloke well and truly." His voice husky and low. "You could betray and kill me now and I wouldn't give a shit as long as you'd stay close until I died.”
Marquesate, Special Forces - Soldiers

Aleksandr Voinov
“When you're like this, Vadim, I want to own you, and taste you, burrow all the way into your body until I feel so much it fucking hurts and your scent clings to every pore. I want to hurt you, tear you apart, fuck you until you plead and scream and bleed, and all that, because I can never get enough of you.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“I need you.” He could not go any further down. Rock bottom. And at the very bottom was just this one thing. The core of it all. “Fucking... love you... too much.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Special Forces - Soldiers

09/01 "I'm on page 111 of 559: Wowwwww!!! F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.!!!! ENGROSSING.GRIPPING.GRUESOME. This is nothing for the faint of heart. But really, it is so good! Hard to put it down. But it's the same thing here: it is a lot of "work" and really time-consuming."
09/02 "I'm on page 304 of 559: Right now Dan is freaking out after a gruesome incident. Yeah, while reading this book one has to be able to stomach a few things. War isn't pretty...But it's absolutely, extremely, utterly riveting. Can't put it down. And I'm looking forward reading book 2 and 3."
09/03
70.0% "I had to gather my thoughts...and I started to write my review. Gosh, this takes time! I hope I'll finish the book tomorrow and I should be able to post my review on Sunday evening."
03/26 marked as: read

message 201: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy I LOVE THIS THREAD!! went back to messages #28-46--makes the characters easier to understand.

Lady Heather WOW Baba! Great review!!

Christina Baba wrote: "Christina wrote: "I do agree with you Baba but he couldn't let Mad Dog go. I thought Dan had every right to do what he did in the beginning but it's tough to accept what happens post Thailand."

D..."

Oh yeah I remember very clearly Vadim's answer to that. Again you're right, he did not answer truthfully. Another reason I can't completely blame Dan. I still don't like it though.

message 204: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy ok--how long b/4 I find out what happens after Thailand???

message 205: by Lenore (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lenore Joy wrote: "ok--how long b/4 I find out what happens after Thailand???"

You have to read about two thirds of the book to get there.

message 206: by [deleted user] (new)

The other thing to keep in mind wth this whole period of time is that Vadim can't really love Dan because his PTSD disconnects him from that part of his deeper feelings. He needs Dan, he needs to have that connection to his past, to the only who can possibly understand him. But he doesn't want to be touched, to have any emotional demands made on him. He can't give himself like he did in Soldiers. He's still like this after Thailand, so it isn't surprising that Dan doesn't feel like that is enough.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Joy wrote: "I LOVE THIS THREAD!! went back to messages #28-46--makes the characters easier to understand."

Yeah, the thread is rather niiiice, Joy. :-)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lady Heather wrote: "WOW Baba! Great review!!"

Thank you, Heather! *smooches*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Christina wrote: "Baba wrote: "Christina wrote: "I do agree with you Baba but he couldn't let Mad Dog go. I thought Dan had every right to do what he did in the beginning but it's tough to accept what happens post ..."

I understand, Christina. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter @Kate

I so agree, Kate, and...

Photobucket

message 211: by Christina (last edited Jul 05, 2012 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christina That's true Kate but I thought Dan should have tried harder to understand what Vadim was going through.

message 212: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah well neither of them do that. Ever. Both guys are the same that way.

message 213: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Am on chapter 37 or 38 of Mercs and still in awe of authors that write such vivid characters--I know these people--what they look like, their expressions, their sounds and smells--

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Joy wrote: "Am on chapter 37 or 38 of Mercs and still in awe of authors that write such vivid characters--I know these people--what they look like, their expressions, their sounds and smells--"

I'm glad you're still enjoying the story, Joy!

Shelley I'm just starting this tonight. I am so bleeding excited B! I adore your pics for this!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Shelley wrote: "I'm just starting this tonight. I am so bleeding excited B! I adore your pics for this!"

Thanks, Shell. Hope it will work out for you. I'm pretty sure this epic will eat you up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Taryn at My Secret Romance This sounds like a really great book, B. Wonderful review!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "This sounds like a really great book, B. Wonderful review!"

It is, Taryn. Thank you!

message 219: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Fantastic review Babs!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "Fantastic review Babs!"

Thank you, my lovely!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Hey I didn't know you had a review in the old edition :) Great one too :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Hey I didn't know you had a review in the old edition :) Great one too :)"

That's because I read the original version back in August 2011. I read the review again and...er...not quite my style anymore. Lol
It amazes me time and again how we evolve. You know I started with a couple of little reviews and then...well, I tend to write rather extensive reviews. Nothing wrong with short reviews at all--they are perfect too, however, I always have so many thoughts on my mind that I can't write short reviews. *cough*

Blacky *Romance Addict* LOL! Yeah, I started doing the review thing recently, and when I look at my first ones... Embarrased hahahahaha I'd just like to rewrite them all hahahah

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Blacky wrote: "LOL! Yeah, I started doing the review thing recently, and when I look at my first ones... Embarrased hahahahaha I'd just like to rewrite them all hahahah"

Lol I feel kinda the same. I remember that I even deleted some of my old reviews. Oh well...

Shelley Baba wrote: "Blacky wrote: "Hey I didn't know you had a review in the old edition :) Great one too :)"

This review is the reason I read these books in the first place. Don't knock it B, I loved it:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Shelley wrote: "Baba wrote: "Blacky wrote: "Hey I didn't know you had a review in the old edition :) Great one too :)"

Lol Thanks, Shell.

Lena♥Ribka Fantastic review, Baba! The same qoutes, the same favorite sex scene!
But I really can't say whom I prefer, I am lost between them both...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Fantastic review, Baba! The same qoutes, the same favorite sex scene!
But I really can't say whom I prefer, I am lost between them both..."

Thanks, Lena. I predict you'll be a Vadim lover after having read the next cycle. But it's all right...more Dan for me. :))

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Gorgeous review Baba! So excited for this series. It'll take me forever but I'm sure it'll be worth the long journey!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ wrote: "Gorgeous review Baba! So excited for this series. It'll take me forever but I'm sure it'll be worth the long journey!"

Thanks, Allison. The first book is the very best! Good luck...this is going to be a tough trip but it's so worth it! :)

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ wrote: "Gorgeous review Baba! So excited for this series. It'll take me forever but I'm sure it'll be worth the long journey!"

Thanks, Allison. The first boo..."

I'm about 15% in. (view spoiler)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ wrote: "Gorgeous review Baba! So excited for this series. It'll take me forever but I'm su..."

Yes, it's going to be very interesting and INTENSE. :)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) Love them both but Dan holds a special place in my heart. Yes, even after Mercs 1, which I recently finished. Easy for people to hate on him when they aren't living his life. Off to read Mercs 2!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "Love them both but Dan holds a special place in my heart. Yes, even after Mercs 1, which I recently finished. Easy for people to hate on him when they aren't living his life. Off to read Mercs 2!"

Dan will always remain my favorite! Love him to pieces! :)

1 2 3 5 next »