Mark Bratkowski's Reviews > The Divine Comedy, Vol. 2: Purgatory

Aug 27, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: world-literature
Read in August, 2011 , read count: 1

I first read excerpts from Inferno when I was a freshman in high school, and I finished Inferno when I was a senior. I was spellbound by its graphic imagery and the compelling story of a man's journey through Hell to purge himself of earthly sins. Due to my positive experience with Inferno, I became interested in someday finishing the Divine Comdey. I decided to do that this school, since I will teach excerpts from Inferno.
Dante' Purgatorio is an allegory that examines, among other ideas, the concept of divine justice. However, I was not nearly as enraptured with the storyline of Purgatorio. In fact, the more I read the footnotes, which were extensive, the less I liked about the story. By the time I would finish reading about the journey through Purgatory, I would lose the plot. I did like the images Dante's creates, but unfortunately, I didn't find them nearly as fascinating as those in Inferno.
I do have Paradiso left to read. I think that my admiration will always be with Inferno, but I will try to approach the last part of the triology with an open mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Divine Comedy, Vol. 2.

02/25 marked as: read