Leticia Vega-Boggs's Reviews > The Last American Man

The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: cerebral
Read from August 22 to 27, 2011

I truly enjoyed this book. The narration and the writing were superb. From the first few sentences I was completely captivated by this story. There is an easiness and rhythm to the storytelling that is magical. What I particularly liked about this biography was how easily it would have been to romanticize Eustace Conway, yet EG didn't do this. She wrote about this man with a dignified honesty: a man with grand noble ideals who at the end of the day is just a man; flawed and haunted.

EG’s biography of Eustace Conway was a fascinating study in the complexity of the human spirit; of one man’s search for peace. Whether it was meant to or not, it stirred questions for me about what makes a great man; a great person. About the dogged singular pursuit of one's convictions.

Many times, listening to Eustace Conway's story, images of Amelia Earheart, Charles Lindbergh, Sir Edmund Hillary, Tenzing Norgay, and other equally ambitious men and women were conjured in my mind. There was a spirit I felt in listening to Eustace Conway’s story that I am certain was shared by persons like Amelia Earheart and other pioneers. That intangible “thing” that drove them to push further and further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last American Man.