Jennifer Taylor's Reviews > Mine Is the Night

Mine Is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs

Dec 14, 11

Read from August 26 to December 04, 2011

Mine is the Night picks up exactly where Here Burns My Candle ended. For this reason, I do feel that it would be best to read them in chronological order. It's a story of redemption and restoration, following the biblical plot line of Ruth and Naomi with a different setting and era.

Higgs does a wonderful job creating believable characters who will steal your heart and make you feel their heartaches, joys and disappointments. A new cast of characters are introduced with excellent characterization to set them apart and create their own places in the story.

There are at least three romances that bloom and you see each character's growth from the first book to the second. For this reason, there aren't many character flaws in Elisabeth. She seems almost perfect. The flaws she once possessed where overcome in the first book. The hero is almost perfect as well. The only character flaw I could see in Lord Buchanan was the fact that he was unconventional for his station in society, which is a necessary ingredient for the the plot to be fulfilled with biblical accuracy.

Romance readers may find themselves a bit impatient as Elisabeth doesn't even meet the hero until after 160 pages. Still, the pacing is quick and it flies once the two finally meet. I enjoyed how Higgs used the political conventions of 1746 Scotland to resolve the ending conflicts of the plot in a similar fashion to the biblical plot of Ruth and Naomi. It's a very enjoyable read and one I would highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mine Is the Night.

08/27/2011 page 49