Ben's Reviews > Promethea, Vol. 1

Promethea, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

Sep 25, 2011

Alan Moore is said to be a master of the graphic storytelling realm and there are clear reasons for this. Most of his tales are original, yet classic, his worlds are compelling and absorbing, his characters believable, and he injects his tales with wry British humour.

Promethea volume 1 is no exception to the rule. In the hands of another storyteller this would have come off as dull and unoriginal with a main character that draws so heavily from the legacy of classic myth and legend and contemporary superheroes. But Moore makes this character and the plot, so heavily intertwined with so many stories and archetypes we are familiar with somehow fresh and new.

The complexity of J.H. Williams' art adds to the mysticism of the tale, weaving in so much detail and motifs appropriate to the beats of the plot.

The one drawback for me is the bright and garish colour palette, but this could be just a matter of taste. I find it too much to take in on top of the detailed pencils, and a little one-note considering we move in and out of reality and imagination. The colours used do not differentiate between worlds.

One the whole - a fantastic work. Looking forward to reading the other volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promethea, Vol. 1.