Jenny's Reviews > You and Me Together: Moms, Dads, and Kids Around the World

You and Me Together by Barbara Kerley

Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: children-s-books, picture-books
Read in August, 2011

Love the photographs and the way that family life around the world is presented...in just a few words but focussing on the commonalities we share. Somehow, though I think it is an important message, the note by Marian Wright Edelman seemed a little depressing...not in the spirit of the rest of the book. I agree with her comments, but just found the tone different from the words by Kerley and the amazing photographs.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You and Me Together.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kathryn I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who did not like the tone of Edelman's note. I agree it seemed very out of place and not as helpful as it could have been.

Jenny Thanks, Kathryn. I felt guilty posting that...I respect Edelman and her work and agree with her message...but it just didn't seem to fit with the rest of this book... it seemed such a downer compared to the very inspiring text and photographs in the actual text.

Kathryn Jenny wrote: "Thanks, Kathryn. I felt guilty posting that...I respect Edelman and her work and agree with her message...but it just didn't seem to fit with the rest of this book... it seemed such a downer comp..."

I felt guilty posting my negative reaction to the note, too; like you, I respect the work being done and agree with the idea of helping children around the world, but the message felt far too preachy and depressing and I thought the book was strong enough on its own, to inspire, without being hit over the head with the afterward.