Nicki Markus's Reviews > Just My Type: A Book about Fonts

Just My Type by Simon Garfield

Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: read-non-fiction
Read in April, 2011

This is a fun and interesting read that is perfect for all the font nerds out there and anyone who is interested in areas such as design, marketing and IT history.

I thought I had a pretty good idea about different fonts until this book opened my eyes. There were so many fonts I'd never heard of and others that I knew without realising they had once been designed for a specific purpose before becoming mainstream.

This book combined chapters on the general history of type and fonts with sections dedicated to the story behind specific fonts. The prose is clear and precise and does not require knowledge of any technical language, which makes this book accessible to everyone and not just those in the industry. It also included a few little jokes and anecdotes and these helped to lighten what might otherwise have become a stodgy essay.

This book could be equally enjoyed by the enthusiast and by an interested outsider, since it is easy to dip into.

I read this as an e-book and had only one difficulty: The book is very image heavy and it is great to have illustrations to demonstrate the point being made, but at times I had to wait up to a couple of minutes for the page to scroll up or turn. This may just be my e-reader as I only have a very basic model, but it is worth bearing in mind if you plan to buy this book as a digital copy. Obviously this poses no problem in paperback/hardback editions.

I received this book as a free e-book ARC from NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just My Type.