Julianna's Reviews > Abe's Lucky Day

bookshelves: childrens-fiction, desert-island-keepers, read-2011
Recommended for: Anyone Who Likes Children's Picture Books with a Good Message
Read on August 17, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Reviewed for THC Reviews
Abe's Lucky Day is a really sweet story about a homeless man who doesn't have anything but the clothes on his back, but when luck shines on him and bring him a bit more, he willingly and generously shares his good fortune with others. In the end, Abe becomes the luckiest man of all when someone else shares what they have with him.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Abe's Lucky Day. It was an uplifting tale that reminded me of the basic principle of karma: Do good things and good things will come back to you. I thought it was a great story that can teach parents and kids alike the importance of generosity and selflessness. If someone like Abe, who had nothing, could help others, what might we be able to do for those in need. I believe that each one of us has something that we can give to the world even if it is just our time or talents and this story highlights that principle well. I think this book could also help kids to become more aware of the social issue of homelessness and to be on the lookout for ways they might be able to assist needy people in the community.

The illustrations were simple but colorful. I found them pleasing to the eye and thought they complimented the story well. Most of the words in the text are easy enough to be suitable for the 5-8 age range, and it would make a great read-aloud book for younger children. Overall, Abe's Lucky Day was a pleasure to read. It had a great message that I highly recommend for kids of all ages. This was Jill Warren's first published book, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for others that might be released in the future.

Note: I received a copy of this book from the author via the publicist, Bostick Communications, in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abe's Lucky Day.

08/26/2011 page 32
100.0% "Great children's book. Highly recommended. Review coming soon."