Xanthi's Reviews > The Happiest Refugee: A Memoir

The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do

Sep 02, 11

Read from August 26 to September 02, 2011

This was an entertaining read, written with a lot of humour. I can appreciate the hardship his family and extended family went through. I had no idea that Anh is a qualified lawyer. Who would have thunk it, as he seems to be such a down to earth kind of guy. I guess that his working class background, kept him grounded..and his family. I do have a few comments to make on the 'negative side of things'. Firstly, the bit about his vegan ex-gf and how he lost lots of weight and wasn't 'solid' enough for his rugby games. *sigh* I am hazarding he did it to please his gf at the time and that was all that was behind that venture, even though he stated he was an 'animal lover'. Sorry, Anh, you can't claim that label and still eat meat. What you are is a 'companion animal lover'. As for the 'not bulky' issue - there are vegan athletes out there who are well ripped. Anh, you just weren't doing vegan right.
And the fighting fish business? Being a teen isn't an excuse. "Vietnamese pizza"? Disgusting! The whole pig at the engagement party - revolting. Compulsively buying a whole heap of birds as pets and then selling your parrot to a pet store. Not cool. Oh, and tell your dad, Anh, that animals do not have the intelligence level of 2 year olds. A lot of them are way smarter than that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Refugee.