C.'s Reviews > The Hidden Face of Eve: Women in the Arab World

The Hidden Face of Eve by Nawāl Al-Sa`adāwī

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: feminism, arab-world, 2012, history-politics-economics, philosophy-ethics-religion, language-linguistics
Read from June 12 to 29, 2012

I have to say that much of this came across as absolutely crazy. Interestingly, not so much because of the content, which was mostly entirely reasonable, but because of the way it was written, and perhaps translated. I have heard before that Arabic writing conventions are very different to English, and I definitely saw that here. El Saadawi seems to write in circles, repeating herself constantly, bringing up points only to abandon them immediately and perhaps come back to them later. Which, to my English brain, really made this book seem like the rantings of a madwoman, though I have read plenty that is more extreme.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Face of Eve.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. She so is! I've been hearing about her for ages. I'm really looking forward to reading this.

message 2: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. Yes, I heard this was her best work. But they all sound good!

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne I didn't like her style, though that may have been the fault of the translator. I only read Memoirs of a Woman Doctor, though - and I love reading/watching interviews with her. She's a fairly incredible woman.

message 4: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. I read Memoirs of a Woman Doctor a few weeks ago, and didn't love it - but it was her earliest book, so I think it's unfair to judge her entirely on it. I also read Woman At Point Zero, Elizabeth, and it was fantastic - kind of in a similar style, but considerably more sophisticated. Anne, it's probably worth trying that one if you're interested.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne I hadn't realized that it was her earliest book. I was honestly disappointed, but Woman at Point Zero sounds like a good one to pick up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Fatima Bouallal I have read it in arabic and I thought the same !