Spiros's Reviews > Can You Forgive Her?

Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope

Sep 15, 11

bookshelves: citylights, londoncalling, vacationreads
Recommended for: fans of "Arrested Development"
Read from August 26 to September 11, 2011

Oh crap: it looks like, after spending last summer in Barsetshire, I am in some danger of spending this autumn in the world of the Pallisers. Trollope just seems to have a way of sucking one in.
As to the question propounded in the title; yes, I suppose that I can forgive Alice Vavasor for being a vacillating drip, sort of a lightweight version of Middlemarch's Dorothea Brooke. I am more disposed to do so in so far as she acts as a foil to her splendid cousin, the Lady Glencora M'Cluskie, who in turn has been efficaciously, and disastrously, married off to the rising politician, and heir to the Duke of Omnium, Plantagenet Palliser (Planty Pall, to his political followers). Lady Glencora had been wooed by the profligate Burgo Fitzgerald, and would have been much happier married to him, and allowing him to waste her fortune, than to the priggish, dry as dust Plantagenet, who in turn would have done much better to have married Griselda Grantly, Archdeacon Grantly's vapid but decorous daughter. But I suppose if everyone were to marry whom they ought to, you wouldn't have 800 page novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Forgive Her?.