Sandy's Reviews > A Trick of the Light

U 50x66
Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: mysteries-series, canada, canadian-authors
Read from August 26 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy

This edition is An Advance Readers' Edition. I often find I really enjoy these 'sneak previews' as it were!

This one is a very good mystery writer who is completely new to me. She has a really fresh voice and I like her setting - Montreal/Quebec, especially as, in my memory, I have not read any Canadian writers. I felt very often that I was in a corner of Frrance, which, I guess for the French Canadians, is exactly what they feel their world is... just a lot chillier in January!! As this is "A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel", it is clear that Inspector Gamache and his colleagues, Jean Guy Beauvoir and Agente Lacoste, have worked together in other investigations. It is also interesting that the thread of their professional entwinement has been difficult, extremely so at times. It is these times - one in particular - that threads its way throughout this murder mystery, keeping one engaged on two levels - the current murder investigation, and the ruthless, excruciating events of the pervious winter during 'the raid at the factory.'

I like Penny's writing style and have marked many sections I find particularly well written or conceived (I really like to do this and do so with lots of books) learning a lot from the way authors express things in their writings and, often, fantasizing that I'd like to emulate such terrific styles! Yeah, right.... oh well! Anyway, terrific book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trick of the Light.