Virgilio Pigliucci's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, game, sci-fy
Read from September 23 to November 22, 2011

I loved it. It was a slow reading at the beginning, not sure if it was for the lack of my time or the humongous amount of 80's references that made me close the book and browse the internet.

After a while though, the book hooked me.... so much World of Warcraft in my past might have helped creating the virtual bonding between me and Wade ( the protagonist ). The story line goes fast, never boring, geeky but never too heavy.

This book deserves 4 stars and I will give 4 reasons why it was such a good reading after all:

1) You never have the feeling that the author is writing meaningless content just to create more volume.
80/90% of each page is an important piece of information to get you to the next steps.

2) Out of so many 80's references there will be at least 1 or 2 that will spark in you an intense desire to stop reading for a second and watch an old movie or play an old videogame that changed your life as a kid (EXPLORERS in my case)

3) When you are approaching the end.... you start feeling bad, you almost want the book to be a little longer

4) The plot, the sceneries and the characters are an awesome mix that would totally make an amazing mini-series or some 3 chapter movie ( Matrix style :-P )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

09/27/2011 page 15
10/12/2011 page 44
12.0% "umhhh" 3 comments
10/25/2011 page 56
15.0% "Why am I slow at this?"
11/16/2011 page 77
21.0% "entering the Tomb of Horrors" 1 comment
11/18/2011 page 82
22.0% 1 comment
11/19/2011 page 155
41.0% "Living it"
11/20/2011 page 270
72.0% "Taking a break and started watching Explorers on tv..... Nice!!"
11/20/2011 page 315
84.0% 1 comment
11/21/2011 page 320
86.0% 2 comments
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Currently reading the burning Soul