Tatiana's Reviews > The Raging Quiet

The Raging Quiet by Sherryl Jordan

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: ala-ya-2000, 2011, historical, ya
Recommended for: fans of "Daughter of the Forest"
Read from August 26 to 27, 2011

The Raging Quiet is a teen-oriented mix of The Scarlet Letter, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Crucible. A story of a woman who dares to be different and has to be punished for it.

Marnie has had it coming. First, she marries a wealthy older man (who cares if she does it only to save her family from poverty) and moves with him into his decrepit and allegedly cursed house in a seaside village populated by ignorant bigots. When Marnie's husband suddenly and accidentally dies, all attention focuses on her. You see, she makes a mistake of blaming herself publicly for his death because in a moment of weakness she prayed that her rapy, you-will-learn-to-enjoy-it husband would leave her alone.

Marnie's problems only become bigger when she befriends a local devil-possessed madman - a young fellow who, the young widow learns, is deaf and not crazy. She feels compassion towards him and invents a sign language to help him communicate. This sign language makes the villagers even more suspicious. The rumors about the young woman run rampant, especially when her neighbors find out she allows the mad young man live in her home. A little push from Marnie's brother-in-law who has an eye on her inheritance, and all hell breaks loose. She is a witch, she is a fallen woman. Burn her!

It is a sad, beautiful, infuriating and surprisingly sensuous story. Beauty of the nature and beauty of the budding love between two lonely, peculiar, misunderstood souls are tarnished by intolerance, baseless hatred and cruelty. Of course, I cried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raging Quiet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily May Great review :) This is on my TBR list but I saw what you said about being recommended for fans of Daughter of the Forest, well, I didn't finish that because I was a bit intimidated by it to be honest... what do you think, is this not for me?

Tatiana Well, one thing I can tell you - it is much, much shorter and not as dense:)

Emily May That was definitely the most off-putting thing. Thanks, I'll give it a go :)

Alyssa great review, I will definitely give this a go. I've got Daughter of The Forest sitting on my desk, all 600+ pages of it. I might procrastinate and read this one first, since it's shorter, to get me in the mood!