Forest's Reviews > Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children

Leaving Microsoft to Change the World by John Wood

Apr 15, 08

Recommended to Forest by: beth Fisher
Read in April, 2008

From a librarian's perspective, this is a little disappointing because of the lack of specific details about the Room to Read libraries, their patrons and their local staff. To a cynical person, the book will eventually become tedious because of the relentlessly optimistic and heartwarming tone. (To give the author credit, he is honest about his personal doubts and struggles with his decision to leave his lucrative job and work for four years without a salary to improve literacy in rural Asia. But the stories from the field could have been cut and pasted from his annual reports. Weren't any of the schools or libraries burned to the ground by heathen guerillas or taken over by religious zealots? Out of thousands, one or two must have met a miserable fate) Most normal people, however, will love it, recommend it to all of their friends, and donate money to Room to Read the same day they finish it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Microsoft to Change the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad I understand your perspective on Wood's quest for literacy greatness. It will definately no be a literary classic in the future. I am, however, glad that it is not considered to be. If a book is not contraversial or depressing it is not considered good literature (Modern).
The purpose of Wood's book was to show a need in the world and how he was blazing a trail to meet that need. If I were him I would do the same thing, try to sell the cause and get more people to donate towards it. Maybe a couple of schools or libraries did burn. Telling that, I don't think that would fit in purpose of the book. Wood showed that he and his staff checks up on the schools and libraries and fight for a better educational opportunity for third world kids. If a school burned down, I trust that they would do everything they could to solve the problem.