Julie's Reviews > Obsession

Obsession by Traci Hunter Abramson

Oct 11, 11

Read in October, 2011

I have been anxiously awaiting Traci Hunter Abramson’s new book, Obsession, and it was definitely worth the wait. I was a bit concerned because I knew it wasn’t part of her Saint Squad series, which I loved, but my concern was unwarranted. Obsession is another wonderful suspense with new characters that I grew to love.

Kendra Blake is a popular singer that is used to the spotlight. She comes from a prominent family where her father is an actor, so she’s had to deal with security and bodyguards from a young age. She has chafed under its restrictions until a bomb goes off at one of her concerts and she has to make a choice---accept the stifling security of her father, or go into hiding. She chooses to flee to a remote cabin where she meets Charlie Whitmore, a man who has more to him than meets the eye.

I really liked Charlie and his backstory. He’s one of the Whitmore family, whom we’ve met in previous novels, but Charlie is trying to break free from his own family issues and be his own man. I loved the hints toward some of his angst with what happened to an old partner, and an old love who wanted him more for his name than himself, and I thought the author really pulled it together in how these events affected him throughout the story. I also liked how honorable Charlie was, even in extreme circumstances, and felt the romance was developed at just the right pace. I also liked how vulnerable Kendra was, and thought that her responses to Charlie were quite genuine since she’d never really had a relationship before and was “new” on the dating scene so to speak. Some of the tender moments between Charlie and Kendra were definitely the kind you want to read twice just for the “sigh” factor.

I felt the characters were the strongest point in this story and was pleasantly surprised to see how the author pulled it all together in the end. I thought Abramson did a good job in the creepiness factor and I also thought the book was very well-edited except for one spelling mistake of “Capitol” building in the last chapters. I would even hesitate to mention that one, lest I be thought of as nitpicky, but it is a national landmark and all. Honestly, though, other than that one thing, this book was close to perfect in the editing department.

So, if you’re looking for a great LDS mystery/suspense, this is an exciting afternoon read, a nice escape into the world of FBI and rich and famous singers. Especially not to be missed if you are an Abramson fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsession.