Estara's Reviews > Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 8

Kimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina

Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: manga, read-in-2011
Read on July 03, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The emphasis on volume 8 and 9 are squarely on Sawako and Kazehara (I find it fascinating that Sawako is known by her first name to everyone, unless they use the nickname, but Shouta Kazehara only seems to be called this by Pin and Ryu..., even though he is the ultimate popular fun guy of the class).

The whole manga is very much centered on the girls, with or without their love troubles, so I enjoyed getting to see Kazehara get SEVERELY frustrated, annoyed and talking his own position out. I think it is a strength of the mangaka that it has been clear from the first volume that Kazehara is slowly falling in love with Sawako, all by himself (with most the class oblivious).

Sawako gets more and more integrated into the class outside of her firm friendships, which is a pleasure to watch, but also part of the plot twist to come.

That girl-crazy Kento becomes aware of Sawako's cuteness in her actions towards Kazehara (and from pity to interest, to falling in love with her himself at that) and actually interprets the situation the way that MOST of the school would: poor unpopular girl falls for kind popular guy who is too kind to be harsh towards her feelings and only pities her - that was a stroke of genius. It forces Sawako to examine her feelings towards Kazehara even more, even as the set-up of a huge (understandable) misunderstanding is being built carefully by the mangaka.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kimi ni Todoke.