Melinda Elizabeth's Reviews > One Hundred and One Ways

One Hundred and One Ways by Mako Yoshikawa

Aug 26, 11

Read in August, 2011

Japanese fiction can be a little strange. This was no exception. We are introduced to Phillip, naked and hanging upside down in the living room, long before we meet the real life lover of Kiki.

The book has a dreamy, bittersweet nostalgic feel to it, and for such a short book, it takes quite a while to finish.. The big pull of the book should have been the geisha grandmother, but she just hovers in the background, with questions posed to her that we never get answers to .

Being a book from the 90's I found the references to aids quite interesting. How many books do we read these days where the characters travel off to have a blood test to see if they have AIDS? I guess considering how "choose life" was drilled into everyone in the early nineties it's not surprising that a bit of that wore off and was transferred to fiction..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred and One Ways.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ella (new) - rated it 1 star

Ella This isn't really Japanese fiction... While the author is ethnically Japanese, she was raised in America. This book was written in English, and the Japanese themselves consider her a foreign writer.

Melinda Elizabeth Fair enough, I had been introduced to it as such, sorry for the misunderstanding :)

message 3: by Ella (new) - rated it 1 star

Ella It was actually introduced to me as a Japanese work as well! I just wanted to clarify because it seems like a common misconception.