Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > Up Against It

Up Against It by M.J. Locke

Aug 11, 13

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from August 26 to 27, 2011

Since M.J. Locke (actually Laura J. Mixon) is an engineer, it's not surprising that this is a book where the nitty gritty of the technical and other challenges of living in space are important. Think Red Mars without the geological digressions. It also has an interesting look at the idea of computer intelligences.

Having just re-read this (August 2013), I'd add that it's an interesting split-the-difference between Michael Flynn's Firestar books (and others set later in the same continuity) and John Barnes's A Million Open Doors continuity. The take on what it's like to live in space is evocative of the former, and the increased sociocultural liberality and certain dystopic aspects of life on Earth remind me of the latter.

There is one thing that bugs me. I am not religious myself, but I am always a little bothered by fictional futures where the author posits that hostility to religious belief is going to be the default. I mean, majority indifference is plausible. But do we gotta treat it like a pathology? (Another example: Kage Baker's Company series. There are probably others but I'm spacing at the moment.)

It would be interesting to see another story set in this universe. Doesn't seem like there's anything on the radar at the moment though ...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Against It.