Christine's Reviews > The Hundred Secret Senses

The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan

Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: other

What an odd book. This is one of those I never would have picked up had it not been for my book club, and another one of those reasons I'm glad I'm in a book club, and that I use it to help me read outside of my comfort zone. I'm still not entirely sure what this book was about, nor what I'm supposed to believe about it, but it was very human and intense. There was something, underneath all the talk of ghosts and past lives, very believable about this story...like something you know is there even though you can't really see it.

I'm not sure how to classify this story. It's only paranormal if there really were ghosts and past lives in it, and then only if those things don't really exist. It's a love story, but not a romance. I'll have to be satisfied calling it "other" and then recommending it to those who find themselves in a mood for something a little different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Secret Senses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked this book, but I agree--classifying it as "other" seems to be the way to go. If you haven't yet read "The Kitchen God's Wife," I highly recommend that one.