Emily May's Reviews > Iced

Iced by Karen Marie Moning

Sep 03, 14

bookshelves: paranormal-uf, 2012
Read from October 30 to November 01, 2012

So... here it is. The much-anticipated spin-off of the Fever series told from the point of view of Dani O'Malley and carried on from almost exactly the point where Shadowfever finishes. I have to say, as much as I wanted this to be good, I'm actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the story and how much higher my opinion is of Dani after finishing it. I've read a few reviews from disappointed goodreaders but - apart from one standout issue - I thankfully do not share a lot of the concerns floating around. And I am very excited for the next installment, even more so because Moning's claim in an interview that this book doesn't finish with a cliffhanger is basically a complete lie.

Okay, let's start with Dani. She's still as bratty as ever and loves to throw around words like "dude" and "feck", but KMM followed through on her promise that her "voice" wouldn't be as loud and in-your-face in this because she is the main character and didn't need to be quite so colourful in order to stand out. And I actually really like her. Any annoyance I felt for her in the past quickly gave way to amusement at her snarky quips and the occasional head shake at her crazy naivete. However, I think Moning will need to develop her character throughout the next two books and allow her to mature or her tendency to go rushing arrogantly into every situation will become frustrating.

As for the story, I really enjoyed the mystery in Iced and the solving of it was quite an adventure. Basically, Ryodan "asks" for Dani's help in finding out what is causing seemingly random venues and places to become iced over, freezing anyone in the vicinity, and eventually exploding afterwards. Several characters are pulled into this mess and tensions are high as the whole city of Dublin becomes threatened by the possibility of being entirely frozen over. On top of all this chaos, Christian MacKeltar has become an Unseelie prince and developed a strange obsession with Dani.

Contrary to a few other GR members' opinions, I did not find this book particularly romance-y at all. There was quite a bit of male-posturing going on, but at the end of this book I'm still unsure who KMM intends the main love interest to be. Every time I think I've made my mind up, somebody else does something that makes the novel kind of favour them. But I like this, it's not a love triangle or love anything because nothing like that has happened yet, but I'm not filled with the same certainty that two characters will end up together like I usually am in paranormal novels with romance in them. However, this does kind of lead straight on to the thing that made me cringe slightly (okay, a lot)...

Dani's age. Okay, scratch that, it's actually more the age of the men she interacts with (except Dancer). At fourteen years old, it's completely natural for Dani to think about sex and, even though she is underage, the thought of fourteen year olds having sex does not fill me with the horror it fills some people with. But when I think of fourteen year olds having sex, I mean with other fourteen year olds. Or fifteen year olds. Not men who are a) thousands of years old and b) even in their human form/appearance are supposed to appear over thirty.

And I don't know if KMM has plans for Dani and Ryodan to get it on or not, but the implied sexual tension between them during parts of Iced grossed me out a little. Ryodan himself is growing on me, I think, let's just say I'm more interested in him now than I was before but I'm not entirely sure if I like him or not yet. But, interesting as he may be, the thought of him perving on a fourteen year old girl makes me feel icky. There was a suggestion in there somewhere that he may be "waiting" for Dani, which may sound really cute to some people but it sounded like grooming to me. Creepy.

But, as the four stars should indicate, this isn't as big an issue as I've probably made it seem. There is no sex, no kissing, not even anything between Dani and Ryodan that you could exactly call flirting, but it's a thing that's there and the worst part about it is that sometimes during Iced I was thinking "wow, they might be hot together" until suddenly I remember she's fourteen and I quickly shove the thought away. Assuming KMM is going that way, she needs to get him to stop calling her "kid" asap. But, who knows, maybe Dani will go for the least morally questionable option and end up with Dancer.

Deep, thoughtful sex analysis aside, this book was entertaining through and through for me. As with the other five Fever novels, it is interspersed with scenes of humour amid the action and the dialogue is as witty and fabulous as it was in the good old Mac and Barrons days. I only hope all the other Fever fans enjoy this as much as I did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iced.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regan (new) - added it

Regan Winters I cannot wait to read this. I was so sad when the while Shadowfever series ended.

Emily May Me too, hope it's good :)

Lily (Lily Pond Reads) cant wait to read this as well, it does look good

Vanessa I'm interested in this book but do I need to read the Fever series first?

Emily May Vanessa wrote: "I'm interested in this book but do I need to read the Fever series first?"

There's a great recap at the very beginning of this so you don't NEED to, but I would highly recommend it anyway because the Fever series is amazing.

Marissa Yes!! Read. The fever series!!!

Emily May Also, you can't read this and go back because it will spoil the huge mystery of the Fever series.

Vanessa I just bought Darkfever :) I'm so excited to start this series. Thanks for your help

Lily (Lily Pond Reads) oh! that was a good thing to learn, good question :) I guess I'll start on the Fever series first asap

Keri (Va-Voom!) I can't wait to start reading this! :) So exciting! I hope it's good!

Prangon I did not know this came out. WANT!!

Emily looking forward to your review on this :). I really loved it, but I totally agree read the age thing - it's an interesting challenge that KMM is having to overcome....

message 14: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit I absolutely adored the Fever series as you know, so can't wait to dive back into this world again! I''m glad you enjoyed it, look forward to your review :)

Emily May Thanks Jasprit. I've read a few reviews by people who were disappointed with this but I found it very entertaining and I love Dani, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Devyani Absolutely agree with you.
Great review Emily :)

Emily May Thanks Devyani and same to you :)

message 18: by Gloria (last edited Nov 02, 2012 05:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gloria Mundi I'm glad you enjoyed this. A lot of the other reviews were rather grim, so I was starting to worry. I'm not very far into this but all the sexual innuendo on Ryo's part and Christian's "Bloody hell is she ever.
Worth. Waiting. For." are really skeeving me out. Srsly, any man above the age of 16 who thinks/talks about a 14 yr old girl like that is just wrong.

Also, there are some inconsistencies that are puzzling me somewhat. I get that Dani would think Mac hates her, but from reviews and book summary there seems to be an implication that there will actually be a showdown between them? I have just re-read Shadowfever and I thought at the end of that it was pretty clear that Mac wasn't really angry at Dani. Maybe angry isn't really the right word but Dani did what she did because Rowena ordered and compelled her to and she would have been like 12 or 13 at the time and Mac seemed to admit to herself that, ultimately, she loves the kid. So why would there be a showdown? Also, Christian having a hard-on for Dani and hating Mac was rather sudden, given he seemed to have a hard-on for Mac at the end of Shadowfever. He's just so many shades of wrong at the moment. I suppose it was to be expected seeing as he's going unseelie prince but I used to really like him in Fever and it's a shame.

I also dislike all the comparisons between Barrons and Ryo. It's like we need to be reminded they are not the same character. I'm not sure why, given Barrons was never this much of a douche to Mac.

Emily May I agree, I like this more because of Dani and not the potential romance that will surely come. I preferred just pretending that the whole creepy Ryodan/Christian things weren't happening :/

Also, there is no showdown with Mac in Iced, I don't know how that's going to play out but Moning isn't addressing it yet.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooo, I'm so excited. This sounds like the perfect mix of things that make me nuts about KMM's writing, and the things I like. The parts that make me nuts are, I've decided, an important part of why I liked Fever.

Jennifer Rinehart Your review makes me want to read this even more. In fact, I can't wait any longer, gonna buy this now and hold on to it until I finish the fever series.

Nicole Iced made me obsessed with the Fever series all over again - is there anything else that can ever measure up?!

message 23: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya going to read this soon and the fact that you liked it makes me optimistic. I already liked Dani's voice in the main series actually, because it was so funny ^^ So in this one her narration probably won't be a problem either, I guess.

Emily May For me, there is only one obstacle to overcome (but it's a big one) and that's the whole perviness of the older men towards Dani. But if that doesn't completely scare you off, this is an enjoyable read.

Nicole Christian in particular really perved me out! But Moning promises no romantic action involving Dani until she turns 17. Phew.

message 26: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya yea, i'll just have to try and find out. At least I totally buy a teenie girl being attracted to these kinds of older men.

Emily May Maya wrote: "yea, i'll just have to try and find out. At least I totally buy a teenie girl being attracted to these kinds of older men."

I totally buy that too. I think the not okay part is the older men perving on a child... but I found it easier to forgive than most because the story and banter were entertaining.

Trena Thank you for this review, it answered a lot of the questions I had. I was hesitant to read this book because I didn't really find Dani cute in the fever series she actually annoyed the crap out of me. Also I was wondering how Moning was going to prevent this book from having the "creepy older men likes child feel" even if they are immortal it's gross. So thanks, now I can read it peacefully without wanting to cringe the whole time. :)

Emily May Thanks for your comment! I hope you enjoy it, Trena :)