Mark's Reviews > The Big Crunch

The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: coming-of-age, humor, romance, young-adult
Read from August 26 to September 03, 2011

June has grown up in a thousand different cities thanks to her dad's job, but has always been able to move on to the next one. Things change though when her family has a stint in Minnesota and she meets Wes, a boy her age just getting over a past relationship. The Big Crunch ends up being a realistic tale of boy meets girl without the movie magic, telling the story of two teens as they try to deal with their feelings for each other in a not so perfect situation.

As I alluded to in the summary, the thing I enjoyed about this book the most is the not so perfect relationship June and Wes build. There aren't any real big flashy standing-on-your-feet-clapping moments like you get in a typical romance, but that's a good thing. Their relationship is funny and sweet, but also awkward and rough around the edges so many times, especially in the beginning when they first meet. It's a realistic portrayal of a teen romance that takes out the flowery aspects, leaving the soul intact in the end.

Despite this, I didn't love this book simply because the romance is really the core and only story in the book for the most part, and that's not really my cup of tea. Sure, it's funny and poignant at times, but by the last 50 pages or so, I was kind of tired of the story and just ready for it to come to a conclusion. I think this is more of my own personal taste though rather than a reflection of the quality of the work.

This is a great read for teens hoping to find a real romance in a book, and I stress real. Real romance isn't great all the time, and this book does a great job illustrating that. But that's all that's really there. If your looking for something more, than you might find yourself a little weary by the end like I did.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Crunch.