Jessica's Reviews > Throwaway

Throwaway by Heather Huffman

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: nook-book, free, fiction
Read from September 02 to 20, 2011, read count: 1

I'm not sure if this book is officially considered "chick lit," but that's how I felt about it. I don't typically read or like chick lit very much, but every now and again it's good to read something lighter and faster, and this is the kind of book that fits that bill. Plus it was free, so no money wasted if it wasn't good. (It's free for the Nook and Kindle.)

I was surprised at how much I liked it considering it is (a) chick lit and (b) free. Honestly, it's nothing groundbreaking or earth-shattering, but it was good. The main character, Jessie [great name, by the way :)], is a former foster child and prostitute, and I'm not extremely familiar with the lives of prostitutes so I can't speak to how realistic the story is, but it was still interesting. I won't give away the whole storyline because I hate when reviews do that, but she has some adventures, and it's intriguing but unrealistic at the same time. To me, the book walks a fine line of trying to be realistic and being a fairy tale. So obviously Jessie experiences some hard times, but it's like it ends up being no big deal when in real life, those things would be pretty big deals. Maybe I'm not used to this sort of thing because I've been reading slower, more descriptive books, but I felt like things were glossed over, time moved quickly, and Jessie went from one thing to the next at light speed. I guess I would've appreciated a story that felt more down to earth and explored the characters a bit more. But then this book wouldn't the fast, light read that it is, so that's the way it goes, I guess.

One thing I really liked was the author's note at the end. She says that the book is free because she wants to raise awareness about the "throwaway" kids of the world, and I think that's pretty cool. She mentions a couple of organizations that you can donate to or get involved with.

All in all, really not bad for a free book. The author has three more that are free (I don't think they're related, but I did read a review that recommended a certain order because I think characters may show up again), so I've downloaded those and will probably read them sometime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throwaway.