Structure's Reviews > The Long Hard Road Out of Hell

The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson

Jun 16, 07

Recommended for: Gen Xers, post-gen xers, intelligent Manson fans
Read in June, 2007

This book was banned from my home for about ten years...I picked it up mostly to remember a time I held dear and to remember the icon that was before all the bullshit self-indulgency.

It's built like a fan book of sorts, with candid and professional photos, interviews, early writings of Brian Warner sprinkled in and out of his personal narrative. I didn't treat as much of an insight into the man as opposed to the being he created.

His style of writing doesn't flow, but I apreciate his voice. I found myself laughing at his cynical quips and antics.

It made me yearn for 1997...I was too young to really apreciate it and now that time is long gone. Reznor's moved on to things I have little to no interest in, and Manson's committed himself to making albums around his catastrophic breakups...

It's sad, actually. His backlash against middle America and an obnoxious, media-driven culture was almost prophetic, and now it's come too true to be worth complaining about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Shannon "Manson's committed himself to making albums around his catastrophic breakups..."

I know... what is up with that? I hugely adore a lot of what Manson has done... but an entire album about breaking up with Von Teese. That's self-indulgent to put it lightly. And not in a way that I feel ready to support.

Structure His interviews nearly match the ones he was giving circa Mechanical Animals. He made apologies for it and kept insisting that his relations with Rose McGowan affected the product.

I'm just tired of hearing the same excuses for crappy products. I haven't heard the rest of the CD yet, and may just pick it up for posterity. Other than that, I'm terribly disappointed...

message 8: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina great review!!

Rita I find that most artists draw inspiration from events that happen in their own lives, and it's in one way or another always reflected in their work. I have yet to come across an artist where that is not the case (the exception to this are the "artists" that work after a "sucess proven formula" - look at the charts to get an idea of who I mean...). I am not supriced that MM's last few albums are coloured by his break-ups. It makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for your review :)

Structure Tina wrote: "great review!! "

Thank you!

Ellen I found the comment about this book being banned from your house amusing. My dad banned it too, but my mom helped me hide it from him.

Structure Ella wrote: "I found the comment about this book being banned from your house amusing. My dad banned it too, but my mom helped me hide it from him. "

That's a sweet story! My mom would end up lifting the ban by the time Mechanical Animals came out. I get the feeling that album seemed less threatening, despite her shock at his breasted bodysuit.

Glennda Like why in the hell would his book be banned from your house , my mom and dad really don't care if i have his book in my house, so whats the differrents?

Structure Well, everyone's different. Back then, Manson was considered to be a major threat to wholesome American culture, and my mom didn't disagree with the sentiment.

She would end up letting up once he released Mechanical Animals. I suppose anything with a Bowie influence was alright with her. ;)

Glennda wrote: "Like why in the hell would his book be banned from your house , my mom and dad really don't care if i have his book in my house, so whats the differrents?"

Glennda ah. i see, sorry for being so jugmental. i tend to do that sometimes when someone dont like what i like .