Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Aug 26, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-debut-author, arcs-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews, 2012-100-book-challenge, 2012-release
Read in January, 2012

If you like something that's a little unique, refreshing, addicting and has a few key elements like a well written romance, dragons, tensions, battles, a MASQUERADE BALL (nope not like the CP one, but this one is still really good), sylphs and a few reincarnations, than you need to go pick up this debut book from Jodi Meadows. This combination of elements made for an incredibly hard to put down book that felt like a cross between fantasy, and paranormal. I really enjoyed getting wrapped up into Jodi's story telling, her unique mythology and her incredibly fascinating world building.

The characters were all interesting to say the least and I liked that I got to know them more over the course of the story. Ana is someone that truly grows into a stronger character as the story goes along. She's had one heck of a horrid upbringing and it isn't until after being rescued from the alluring love interest Sam, does she start to really grow into the character she's meant to be. *sigh* Sam. It definitely wasn't hard for me to be swept off my feet by Sam. He's complicated, level headed and he pushes Ana in a very different way than most lead male characters in YA books do. Ana herself is stubborn, persistent and I admire her for asking questions and seeking out answers. It's through Ana's quest to get answers and learn more about herself and her existence that we learn more about this society's history. Ana and Sam's romance is so well done! It's drawn out, it's complicated and boy do they have some great character chemistry. I LOVE this romance. It reminded me a little of the romance from Graceling. It's beautiful, pure and it's one that blossoms as the characters learn to trust in each other and get to know one another.

The other thing that I really enjoyed about this story is Jodi's unique mythology with reincarnation and the rich history that comes with it. I found it fascinating that her characters would not only keep coming back after living numerous lives, but they'd be able to keep their memories of all their past lives. Not only that, but they could be a different sex when they are reincarnated. The story's society is bit a intriguing as they are made of members who have known each other over the span of generations giving the different lives they've lived. Each time they come back they keep the same friendships. I liked that the concept of "new" or "no" souls. No matter how many times a character is reincarnated they keep their same soul, good or bad.

Incarnate is a fabulous debut! Jodi's writing is simply beautiful. I fell in love with the way she tells her story, and I loved that it's both simple and complex all at the same time. It's well paced, it's engaging and at the heart of the storyline is an enchanting love story that truly a breath of fresh air. The battles, the tensions and twists that are revealed at the end of the book are fabulous! My only compliant is having to wait so long to pick up the sequel. I highly recommend picking up this book when it's out later this month.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.

Once Upon a Twilight I want to read this!

Once Upon a Twilight I won mittens from her a few months ago. They are too cute

Anna (Literary Exploration) God I loved this book!!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids I can not wait to read more of Jodi's books!

Once Upon a Twilight I need to chat about this book Private with you DM me on twitter please

Anna (Literary Exploration) I can't wait to read the next one!! Sam and Ana are just too cute :))

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Yara- Ok ;)

Anna- I can't either.