Jeff Tate's Reviews > Secret Vengeance

2582038
Aug 26, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-fiction
Read in May, 2012

I was skeptical that Wilson could make a YA series out of Repairman Jack, but I really enjoyed this third book. It is probably my favorite because it harkens back to the first few books in the adult Repairman Jack series, before everything got overtly supernatural. The majority of the novel is just seeing the first glimpses of how Jack became "Repairman Jack" in his pursuit of justice for his friend, Weezy. There is a bit of interesting supernatural here and there with some fun cameos from future friends and villains, but the main focus is on Jack being Jack. He is a great character and Wilson is at his best when he lets the character be the focal point.

Next to Pendergast, Repairman Jack is probably my favorite character in a series. If you like Pendergast, you'll like the Repairman Jack series. Start with The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) as it is a stand alone novel. Wilson never intended to create a series, so the novel is completely self contained. You can read it and move on without losing a thing. However, if you like it, and I know you will, your have 14 more books to enjoy. Almost all are great--one or two slight duds--but probably the most consist series I have read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Vengeance.