Nicol's Reviews > Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04 by Kiyohiko Azuma

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: read-with-my-kids
Read from August 26 to September 06, 2011

Hahaha! My humor is that of a nine year old so I really laugh out loud at all of the Yotsuba! stories. The author really nails the imagination of little kids in this painfully honest character. The whole explaining everyday concepts to them that goes right over their heads anyway is so familiar that I feel like I'm reading scenes out of my own life as a parent...My favorite chapter in here is when Yotsuba and her dad go to the store and he forgets his wallet. Yotusuba thinks that means they're going to get into trouble so she shouts should they run for it. The dad is so embarrassed he's drawn with this pained expression and like any little kid filled with honest concern for their parent, Yotsuba loudly asks, "Do you have to poop, daddy?" And when he doesn't answer, she proceeds to loudly ask him if it already came out?
Yeah, I laughed out loud on that part and my nine year old ran up and asked if I was reading the funny scene with the poop question.
All of the chapters are adorable little stories of life as seen through the eyes of a very happy, energetic and imaginative little girl. I really enjoy the way the neighbor family of girls goes along with her, feeding her imagination and sometimes having it backfire on them, or when Jumbo (really tall guy) and her dad pretend to have kung fu fights...it's just really down to earth writing about everyday life. It makes you feel good. What a great series!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04.