Stephanie's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: lit, favorites, re-read, sci-fi
Read in July, 2011

I miss Kurt Vonnegut.

He hasn't been gone all that long. Of course he isn't gone, yet he is gone. He has always been alive and he will always be dead. So it goes.

Slaughterhouse-five is next to impossible to explain, let alone review, but here I am. And here I go.

What is it about?

It's about war.
It's about love and hate.
It's about post traumatic stress.
It's about sanity and insanity.
It's about aliens (not the illegal kind, the spacey kind).
It's about life.
It's about death.
so it goes.

"That's one thing Earthlings might learn to do, if they tried hard enough: Ignore the awful times and concentrate on the good ones."

This is how I live my life. This is how I get through the day. Most days I am successful, some days I'm not. Today is one of the "not" days. Like so many Americans these days, I feel I'm in a rut. Like so many Americans I don't understand why I am where I am. This was not the plan. This was not what I had in mind......

Oh poor me....boo hoo.

This book. This book got me thinking. So much about life sucks, true, but not many of us want to give up on it that easy. Why? because of the "good ones". And what makes "good ones" is our ability to create and enjoy creating.....at least I think so.

"Write it. Shoot it. Publish it. Crochet it, sauté it, whatever. MAKE."
— Joss Whedon

If you make something, a painting, a poem, a novel, a good meal, a person.....you continue to live even after death. I think that's what Mr. Vonnegut was getting at. Maybe.

At least that is how he has remained alive for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

“And so it goes...”

Kurt Vonnegut
“All this happened, more or less.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“And Lot's wife, of course, was told not to look back where all those people and their homes had been. But she did look back, and I love her for that, because it was so human. So she was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes.”

Kurt Vonnegut
“How nice -- to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephen Great review, Stephanie.

Stephanie Thanks Steve!

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Paganus "Same as it ever was" always reminded me of "So it goes".

Stephanie Ian wrote: ""Same as it ever was" always reminded me of "So it goes"."

Talking Heads....love those guys.

message 5: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Paganus Me2.

Borys I like your 'What is it about?' section :)

Stephanie Borys wrote: "I like your 'What is it about?' section :)"

Thank you!

message 8: by Vibha (new) - added it

Vibha I love this review! I'm not on goodreads often, but this caught my eye. A very creative perspective on the book, which I agree with.

Stephanie Vibha wrote: "I love this review! I'm not on goodreads often, but this caught my eye. A very creative perspective on the book, which I agree with."

Oh why thank you, that means a lot to me.

message 10: by Evan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evan Leach Great review...adding this one now.

Stephanie Evan wrote: "Great review...adding this one now."

Thank you, one of my very favorites.

Guillermo Azuarte Nice review, Stephanie. Vonnegut makes the art of writing seem so effortless. I revisit his books over and over again.

Stephanie Guillermo wrote: "Nice review, Stephanie. Vonnegut makes the art of writing seem so effortless. I revisit his books over and over again."

Thank you!

Kirsten Ellis I've just had "So it goes." tattooed on my wrist and you've explained beautifully my sentiments towards this phrase, this book, and how it makes us think about our lives. Wonderful review, thank you!

message 15: by Seby (new)

Seby Iuga Hmm interesting. I actually thought of the way that the tralfamadorians view things was BAD. I can't find the actual quote, but what gets me is that they think you should just always focus on the good things and completely ignore the bad. They don't even think war is bad, because eventually it ends. They even destroyed the universe, for God's sake, but they don't care. That's why they destroyed themselves; because they don't want to learn from the bad things in the past. The tralfamadorians are TOO happy, TOO optimistic. I think Vonnegut was trying to tell us to NOT have this attitude about war, to learn from the past.