Sooz's Reviews > China Mountain Zhang

China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh

1852000
Sep 05, 2011

when i first picked up this book, i assumed it was set in the future, but it doesn't feel like the future so much as it does a slightly altered version of our present. maybe not. maybe it is the future - but it is definitely not the far distant future - as we are already seeing signs that China has the potential to be the next economic world power. As McHugh carefully avoids giving political or historical sign posts, it is hard to really pinpoint the time she has in mind. i think this is a brilliant strategy on her part and is part of the reason this story works so well. it isn't fixed. it isn't set in stone. her writing flows in time and place and it is her characters that we attach ourselves too.

China Mountain Zhang is a young man -an A.B.C. (American Born China), gay and drifting through his life. McHugh weaves the tales of others -some quite briefy- into the story of how Zhang finds his place in the world.

i will be interested in seeing what McHugh writes next. i think she has great potential.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read China Mountain Zhang.