Jennifer's Reviews > Flash and Bones

Flash and Bones by Kathy Reichs

Oct 19, 11

bookshelves: crime-thrillers-spies
Read from October 12 to 17, 2011

Oh, how I've missed Temperance Brennan! Though usually a serious lack of Andrew Ryan bothers me, it didn't seem as upsetting in this novel. Perhaps because Kathy Reichs has returned to basics, a solid case with plenty of suspects, and lots of unanswered questions.

I have absolutely no interest in racing but as usual, Ms. Reichs kept me completely engaged with the subject and taught me a few things as well. She balanced the racing with racism -an entire fringe racist group that may or may not have been involved in the death of the recently discovered victim, or the cold case disappearances. Oddly, I didn't find myself pushing to solve the case but found myself enjoying the discoveries as they came. Though I did figure out the culprit before Tempe and Slidell, it was only by a few chapters.

As I mentioned at the beginning of my review, the only thing absent was any forward momentum in Tempe's love life -though some doors may be closing and some windows may be opening. Right now, Tempe doesn't really have time for romance, but I hope she'll make time for it. (Obviously, I'm rooting for Andrew Ryan -I always have and I always will.) And here I go, referencing Tempe as a real person not a character, but Kathy Reichs writes her so well, Temperance Brennan feels like an old friend to me.

I was really looking forward to a solid forensic mystery and Flash and Bones didn't disappoint. Kathy Reichs seldom does. Julie and I both highly recommend this series... or if you're looking for something a little lighter, try Kathy Reichs' new paranormal YA series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash and Bones.

10/16/2011 page 28
10.0% "#amreading. I missed Tempe."
10/16/2011 page 109
39.0% "#AmReading."
10/16/2011 page 175
63.0% "#amreading & it's hard to put down."
10/16/2011 page 251
90.0% "A horrible place to stop, but time for bed..."