Nan's Reviews > The Peach Keeper

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

Aug 25, 2011

This book is mesmerizing and engaging from the get-go. It is tempting to call it "fluffy" because it is "feel-good" and a quick-read that could be read in a single setting. That would be facetious, however, and unkind and undeserving because there is some depth and beauty that must not go unacknowledged. The southern tone is inherent from the beginning with mystery and magic that draw the reader in to the North Carolina town, Walls of Water, in a palpable way. While I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story, my only criticism would be that the elevation and richness of language, mystery, and magic that opened the first chapter were not sustained throughout the remainder of the book. Even so, the magical elements introduced in the first chapter were built upon throughout the story even if the imagery fell short. So that's what I felt about the words. The main characters were well-developed and believable and the message centered on the importance of knowing and accepting yourself and others for who one is, naturally, without placing undue pressure on an individual to be who or what one is not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peach Keeper.