Steph Su's Reviews > Cinder

2010935
Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: debs12, own, possible-for-chase
Read from January 23 to 24, 2012

A futuristic cyborg retelling of Cinderella sounds outrageous, but Marissa Meyer really takes the timeless tale and makes it her own with CINDER, first of a four-book series. Imaginative and action-packed, with likable characters, CINDER will appeal to readers looking for a dose of creative adventure.

Where do I start in gushing about how enjoyable CINDER was? Cinder the protagonist was a lovely protagonist. She is smart, resourceful, and brave. Cinder belongs in that small group of YA heroines who do not possess any extraordinary survival tactics and yet is a fighter: she deals with her troubles in a way that many of us can imagine us doing if we were ever in her position.

My next point is contentious, as many great reviewers have felt this part underdeveloped, but I felt that CINDER did a great job of creating a unique future world. No, it’s not quite a dystopian, and it’s not “hard” sci-fi: if it were either of those, the world’s connections to our present-day world would need to be more convincing. However, I was able to enjoy CINDER’s setting of New Beijing as almost a fantasy world, set on a planet with a similar layout to ours, with new technology but similar problems of politics and society. Story and setting complemented each other well: the plot never dragged in order to appease world-building, and the world-building was enough such that the story was supported well.

Overall, CINDER may not win any literary awards in the near future, but it is an utterly enjoyable retelling of a classic in a futuristic fantasy world, with recognizable elements from the old tale but enough new elements to keep things fresh. I was surprised at the abruptness of the ending, until I learned that the Lunar Chronicles is a four-part exploration all about Cinder and her adventures, not separate stories each. Oh. Okay. There will be resolutions in the future, then! You can bet I’ll be tuning in to the next books in this fun series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

01/23/2012 page 137
35.0% "This doc is totally suspicious-making."
01/23/2012 page 180
46.0% "Oh, I quite like these two MCs. They remind me of Ella and Char." 1 comment
01/24/2012 page 217
56.0% "Evil is in the atmosphere!"
01/24/2012 page 288
74.0% "So exciting!" 5 comments
01/24/2012 page 324
83.0% "Ohhhhh ahhhhhh can't stop reading!"
01/24/2012 page 390
100.0% "WHAT! Did it really just end like that. What. What. What."

Gabrielle Carolina Love? Like? Hate? Abhor?

Steph Su Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Love? Like? Hate? Abhor?"

Like! Would read the next in the series. :)

Gabrielle Carolina Steph Su wrote: "Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Love? Like? Hate? Abhor?"

Like! Would read the next in the series. :)"

Cool. I just scored a finished copy at ALA! : )

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you about the world building. I thought that it was actually quite well established as a futuristic time period, especially since I went in with expectations of something more steampunk or whatnot (based on reviews read).

Steph Su Patricia, there's been an appalling array of YA lately being, in my opinion, wrongfully labeled as dystopian. To me, CINDER (and other recently published YA) is not dystopian, but rather this futuristic "lite" sci-fi thing that you mentioned as well. I just read your review and YES, Firefly all the way. :)