Jeff's Reviews > One Second After

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Aug 30, 11

Read from August 25 to 30, 2011

Wow. I hesitated to read this book at all. You see, I am about to publish my own post apocalyptic novel in a similar vein, and didn't want anyone to think I had in any way been influenced by another work. As I approached the final editing phase on my book though, my editor suggested that I should read "One Second After".

As I began to read it, I was a little worried. Forstchen's developement of the EMP and its afteraffects was very similar to what I had researched and written, and the more I read, the more I feared that whether or not I had read his book, people were bound to see similarities. Eventually I realized that any writer who researched the actual effects of an EMP on our electronic infrastructure would come to the same conclusions, and I began to relax.

As I read more, I began to tense up again - though this time for a completely different reason. William Forstchen is a passionate writer, who has given us a frighteningly realistic look at the aftermath of an EMP strike on our civilization. The author draws the reader into his dark, and often heart-wrenching, tale of one community's struggle for survival. I found myself at times shuddering, and at others choking up, at the sacrifices made by these characters.

Extremely well written! Anyone interested in thought-provoking fiction that is only a few steps removed from reality, do yourselves a favor and buy this book. Then think about it... a lot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Second After.