Mary Robinson's Reviews > Killer Stuff and Tons of Money: Seeking History and Hidden Gems in Flea-Market America

Killer Stuff and Tons of Money by Maureen Stanton

F 50x66
Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction

A look at the fascinating world of antique dealers through the eyes of a lower-level dealer who is rough-edged but endearing in his passion for antiques and the history they represent. The author followed this self-taught expert over the course of many years and it is interesting to see how the dealer grows and changes as he struggles to survive in this tough world. Also was interested in seeing how our new generations attitudes toward antiques (they’re more interested in a nice reproduction from Pottery Barn) and the Antique Roadshow are effecting the antique business. I was surprised by how hard a life it is for someone selling at this level (unpacking and re-packing a truckload of items day in and day out to exhibit at various shows) and I was dismayed to learn how little value most collectibles have (yes, you’re right I have a few old things – pretty sure not going to get rich from any of them!).

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Stuff and Tons of Money.