Jodi's Reviews > Happy Chaos

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, memoirs, parenting
Recommended for: Everyone who loved Punky as a kid
Read from February 08 to 09, 2012, read count: 1

Okay, I'll admit it - I loved Punky Brewster as a kid so I was interested to see how Soleil Moon Frye is as a mother. I must say for the childhood she wrote about she seems to be a well-grounded, good mother. A little "granola" (aka hippy) but that didn't surprise me for some reason.

Her parenting advice was simple and wise - be present with your children, respect their fears and desires, have fun with them, and create as many memories as possible because they grow too quickly. I also loved that she is so down to earth and talked about swapping clothes with friends and trying to reduce waste for the earth.

About her childhood: What was her father thinking? Boating in a tornado warning? A sixth grade teacher who made drinking alcohol with his class - what?? Her mother accidentally packing a "juice box" that was alcohol? Michael Jackson as a babysitter? French-kissing boys at age 8? Her father taking her and friends to a scary movie in a seedy part of town and leaving them there at 9 years old? Soleil writes lovingly about her parents, but they sound very neglectful to me. For the childhood she writes about, she sounds to be a much better mother with her child........I hope so anyway!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Chaos.