Brent's Reviews > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Jun 03, 08

I had no clue what this book was about when I jumped into it so it took me a bit to get into it. I chose its cd version as entertainment for a 16 hour round trip road trip because I felt it was one of those classic books that I had somehow missed in high school.

I fully understand why this book is so popular for high school reading classes. A limitless number of essays could be written about its metaphors, imagery, social commentary, character studies, sexism, and racism. It is an extremely well written book that is quirky, crude, cynic, intelligent, and psychedelic all at once. It is definitely a book of the 60's. The characters are fun, and I couldn't stop analyzing them as they analyzed the mental illness ward that they all shared.

This book isn't for everyone (it strikes me as a book guys would enjoy better than girls), but it has some interesting things to communicate about treating mental illness, nonconformity, masculinity, and freedom. I don't necessarily agree with all of these perspectives, but I still enjoyed and acknowledge that this book deserves to be a classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rina It was hard for me to get into this book at first too because it took a while for me to figure out the difference of what was actually going on, and what the Chief was imagining.
Yes, this book sure is essay material, isn't it. I agree on what everything you say here.