Kevin Rubin's Reviews > Thank You, Jeeves

Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

Aug 25, 11

I picked this one from the bookshelf as it said it was the first novel with Jeeves and Bertie Wooster, but by the second page I realized it wasn't the first story... Turns out there are short stories written first that probably do more to introduce them. But it didn't take too long to figure them out...

Although this story definitely refers to events in previous ones, "the cats in the bedroom," and "the hot water bottle episode," and "the purloined hat," and "also the matter of sliding down pipes," I don't think the details are necessary to follow this tale.

In this story Wooster decides to play a musical instrument, a banjolele, upsetting his neighbors and even the unflappable Jeeves, who gives his notice. His landlord insists he must stop playing or move out, so Wooster moves out to the country, leasing a small house on his school mate's estate. And ironically, Jeeves gets a job in the manor house there, working for Wooster's mate.

Funny, but totally unbelievable all the ridiculous situations Wooster and his friends get themselves into. Every idea Wooster gets backfires, digging him deeper into some hole, and Jeeves is the only one who can think of ways to get out.

By the end it was very repetitive, much the same conversation took place over and over throughout and the outcome of most actions was pretty predictable.

It was fun, and I'll probably pick up more Wodehouse books, but it'd be very hard to read more than one in succession. I'll need to take some breaks between them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thank You, Jeeves.