Jennifer Jensen's Reviews > Courageous

Courageous by Randy Alcorn

Aug 25, 2011

Read in August, 2011

I’ve heard the song by Casting Crowns, I’ve read the book, and now I’m ready to see the movie. This compelling story of the everyday lives of police in a small Georgia town is a great read (not surprising since Randy Alcorn never tells stories half way) and one that encourages men to be the leaders of their families not just because it is Biblical, but because it’s the right thing to do.

The characters in the story are believable and honest, and their individual paths are difficult enough to be real. One of the only things that felt a little over done in the book was the constant harping on ‘fatherless’ homes and how much that impacts the family. I live in a city where a lawyer constantly hawks divorce help for men by using statistics that start with “Fatherless homes are more likely to result in children who don’t finish high school,” and other scary data that make it sound as though the biggest mistake a man can make is to divorce his wife without this attorney. Although I know the facts are real, and I certainly think that the change in family values is a huge detriment to society as a whole, it felt a lot like it discounted the prayerful courage of a single mom in the home. Sometimes that’s all there is, and while it may be the exception, there are plenty of instances where moms make a difference, too.

Still, the overall plot of the story was well put together, the family dynamics were heartfelt, and the characters were ones that I could like. I will definitely see the movie, and I am hopeful that this book will create a generation of fathers who don’t need the aforementioned divorce attorney, not because they don’t care about their children, but because they care enough to be the good father they need to be.

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8(NIV).

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courageous.