MB (What she read)'s Reviews > The Rook

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Nov 22, 2013

bookshelves: fantasy-urban-fantasy-paranormals, inter-library-loaned, read-in-2013
Recommended to MB (What she read) by: Library Journal
Recommended for: Did you enjoy Men In Black?
Read from November 20 to 21, 2013 , read count: 1

This book is crying out to be made into a movie. I can so see it filmed in a style similar to Men In Black. (Particularly in the dialogue between Myfanwy and Shantay, I really get that vibe.) Hopefully whoever casts it manage to find someone ordinary looking to play Myfanwy. Otherwise, the point is just going to get totally lost. I know who I'm picturing for Alrich--just change that long blonde hair to red.

As far as the writing; you can tell this is a first book. It is a little rough in places, but really shines in others. O'Malley has some great phrases, a ton of imagination, and has created a very entertaining world. His understated and wry humor is a lot of fun. I think readers who enjoy Ben Aaronovitch,Charles Stross or John Scalzi's Agent to the Stars might enjoy this book.

There are a few continuity problems and the story doesn't always flow well due to some things being revealed out of sequence. (Maybe that is a consequence of the story-telling flipping back between past revelations and present day, who knows?) Still, I'm hoping O'Malley goes on to write many more for my enjoyment.

Likely to be 4 stars (bumped up due to world & character-building.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rook.

Quotes MB (What she read) Liked

Daniel O'Malley
“This should be a pleasant little interview. All I have to do is put on my scary face."
"You have a scary face?" Ingrid sounded skeptical.
"Yes," said Myfanwy indignantly. "I have a very scary face."
Ingrid surveyed her for a moment. "You may wish to take off the cardigan then, Rook Thomas," she advised tactfully. "The flowers on the pocket detract somewhat from your menace.”
Daniel O'Malley, The Rook