Kathie's Reviews > The Darkest Child

The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips

Jul 20, 15

Read from July 07 to 13, 2015

I finished reading this book several days ago but could not bring myself to write a review. I'm not sure I can do the book justice. Delores Phillips has written a powerful and unforgettable first novel.

Tangy Mae grows up as one of ten children born to Rozelle. It appears that each of the ten children have different fathers. Some, like their beautiful mother, could pass for white,, while the others were various shades of brown.

Living in a shack with a leaky roof, no running water or electricity, the family struggles to survive. The children pick up jobs where they can and some go to school when jobs, household chores, and caring for the younger children allows it. Tangy is one of the brightest children in school which some of her siblings resent. Whether she will be able to finish school is a constant question.

Rozelle manages to have fine clothes and leaves the children to care for each other while she goes out to socialize, although it seems the only friend she has is the neighbor, Pearl. Rozelle has no parenting skills, something of which others in the community are aware. She commits unthinkable physical and emotional abuse on her children and yet manages to keep the authorities at bay. Some of the older children are desperate to get away, but get away to what? What keeps them there or draws them back when they get away?

A well written,heartbreaking story with many well developed characters that drew me in as I began to build hope right along with the characters. A story that will stay with me for a very long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Child.

07/07 marked as: currently-reading