Nichole's Reviews > The Help

F_50x66
Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from August 25 to September 07, 2011

I loved this creatively written book with characters you loved and loved to hate. This book more than defined the race dynamics during the early civil rights movement in the south, which unless you have lived in the south seems so hard to understand, but gave you insight into that southern hierarchy. It has always been harder to get non-southerners to understand those invisible lines drawn between southern "royalty" and those who hang on to their worlds with hope of advancing their all important social standings.
I loved that Kathryn Stockett gave light to some hard truths of womens lives in general (ie abuse, trouble keeping pregnancies, social status, adult bullies, unexpected and much loved friendships and numerous others) without making them the whole story and yet touching each with skill and percise attention.
I am truly grateful to have found such a unique and strong voice in this book. A good read for fun as well as a better understanding of yourself and the relationships you foster in your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

09/07/2011 page 451