L. (Carl, that kills people!)'s Reviews > Match Me If You Can

Aug 27, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: chick-lit-challenge, romance
Read from August 24 to 27, 2011

Some readers would consider this a contemporary romance. I call it chick-lit, because I'm doing a chick-lit challenge and I don't feel like digging up another book. Besides, Match Me If You Can conforms to all the chick-lit rules. There's a ne'er-do-well heroine who can't do anything right (work, love, relationships, etc.); the hero is rich and handsome (and nothing more); there are some sidekicks who are supportive and/or quirky; and there's endless, endless, endless descriptions of what these characters are wearing and brand name products they use. Because, you know, chicks care about these details. But I don't. OMG, what's wrong with me?!? Why am I not materialistic enough for chick-lit??

But I digress.

Annabelle Granger, jack of all trades - master of none, has inherited her late grandmother's matchmaking service. To pull the struggling business into the black, Annabelle needs to land a big name client. That big name is sports agent Heath Champion. He's a self-made millionaire, Harvard graduate, Olympian god incarnate, so of course he's having trouble finding a wife. Fighting against Annabelle is rival matchmaker Portia Powers. She's able to throw beautiful, intelligent, successful women at Heath, because they also have problems finding men and need a matchmaker. (I never realized how hard it is to be rich and beautiful. I'm beginning to feel sorry for them.) Portia and another side character, Bodie, have their own relationship problems, but they're not really in the book enough for me to come to care about them and their hill of beans. Frankly, I didn't care about Annabelle and Heath, and they're the stars of this story.

Negatives: There was no real connection between the h/h. Except for getting into his bank account and bed, I saw no reason for Annabelle to be attracted to Heath.

The blurbs on the back of the book say this is supposed to be a funny novel. I'm still waiting. Maybe the publisher mails you the jokes after you're done reading.

Positives: Ummmmmmm.... I didn't hate it enough not to finish reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Match Me If You Can.

05/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Meggie (new)

Meggie "Maybe the publisher mails you the jokes after you're done reading."

Big fat LOL. :) Now I'm very curious about the book. And you never know, maybe you're right.