Jillaire's Reviews > Ella Minnow Pea

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

Aug 25, 11

Read in August, 2011

I thought this book was brilliantly clever. I really enjoyed it. Maybe it was because I haven't read anything all summer and this light read was the antidote I needed to get me turning pages again.

On the fictional island nation of Nollop, the English language had been elevated to high art in honor of their namesake Nevin Nollop who authored the pangram "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." When the "Z" tile fell from Nollop's monument, the Island Council took it as an omen from Nollop himself that "Z" must be struck from all verbal and written usage. With severe penalties following infractions and more-and-more tiles falling as weeks pass, island residents face the gradual disappearance of their means to communicate while racing to find a new sentence that will prove Nollop was not the genius they thought.

Some of the characters and relationships lacked a little bit of development, but overall I found the story compelling and was impressed with Dunn's vocabulary and creativity as he progressively restricted his letter-choice.

I'm going to recommend it to my book club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Minnow Pea.