Alisha Marie's Reviews > Every You, Every Me

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan

Aug 25, 2011

bookshelves: amazon-vine, arc-s, mystery-thriller, young-adult
Read in August, 2011

Now THIS is what a young-adult thriller should be like. After being a bit disappointed at the mystery-thriller aspect of Susan Beth Pfeffer's Blood Wounds (but not disappointed in the book as a whole), Every You, Every Me was definitely a welcome surprise. I had expected the book to focus heavily on the gimmick and let the actual mystery plot, of what happened to Ariel and who's sending Evan those mysterious photographs, fall to the wayside. But it didn't. In fact, Every You, Every Me wouldn't have suffered one bit if it didn't include any of the photographs. It still would have been an intriguing story and one hell of a mystery. Yet the photographs do add something extra to it.

Since I had an advanced reader's copy of Every You, Every Me, I didn't get the full effect of the photographs. Not that that part of the book was bad at all. The book was still pretty amazing, but the final released copy of Every You, Every Me is supposed to include full-length color photographs, while those with an ARC had small-ish black and white photos. But again, the photographs do add something extra. For me, it had me feeling that much more freaked out for Evan. The slashed out lines (that were still completely readable) were an interesting way to show what Evan was really thinking as opposed to what he was actually saying. So, the gimmicky parts of Every You, Every Me actually worked and were very well-done.

Every You, Every Me was also superbly written. You can just feel how screwed up Evan is due to everything that happened to Ariel. You really do start to wonder about Evan's state of mind and that just intensifies the disturbing factor. Every You, Every Me just drives home the fact that we never really know someone completely. We just know one facet of them. Who they are when they're with you can be completely different than who they are when they're with someone else.

So, I thought Every You, Every Me was a fantastic novel. Every single aspect of it worked wonderfully. I do think that it will be even more amazing as a finished product with the full-length cover pictures included. Either way, Every You, Every Me is highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every You, Every Me.

08/02/2016 marked as: read