Pamela Voyles's Reviews > It's a Book

It's a Book by Lane Smith

Aug 25, 11

Read in July, 2011

Today we are in inundated with technology. A digital divide is happening between children and adults. The world is changing and so is the way we read and access information. Lane Smith writes and illustrates a book about the pleasures of reading a printed book in It's A Book (Roaring Book Press 2010). The rich shade of red used in the chairs make the gorilla and donkey stand out on the page with soft, muted colors used for the background. The donkey just doesn’t understand his friend’s book. He wants to know things about the book: does it scroll, blog, or tweet? Where’s the mouse and why are there so many letters. He finally sits down to take a look at it. The illustrator cleverly puts clocks above his head to show time flying by as he investigates this thing called a book. He loves it so much that he doesn’t want to give it back. The gorilla lets him keep it while he goes to the library. The last page is my favorite, but you have to read the book to find out what it says. This book is an excellent example of metafiction, a book about a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Book.