Melissa's Reviews > Mice

Mice by Gordon Reece

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: yikes
Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is pretty standard "We killed someone so now what do we do with the body?" fare. I'm interested in the concept of women as mice. Women who work harder for less money and are sexually harrassed by their bosses because they're too mousy to stand up for themselves. Girls who get savagely abused by their classmates but never tell anyone about it because they're mice. Women who seclude and immerse themselves in secret cottages and music and books and art because the world is such a cruel place & they're mice who can't deal with it. "We all shared the same secret bond, what I called with bitter irony the fellowship of the mouse. I liked to amuse myself by imagining the fellowship's badge that we'd wear on our breasts: a mouse in a trap with a broken neck, and our motto "Nati ad aram' in a curling scroll - born with the victim gene.

I know some mice. I used to be a mouse. I wish I could gather them all up and teach them how to be cats instead. Also, I'm so glad I never went to school in England. Every single description in every single book I've ever read about it describes ineffectual teachers who can't stand up to students and cigarette-smoking, clothes-obsessed girls who beat the shit out of the weak and the meek with impunity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mice.